View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 07:35 PM   #249
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
The VCU and Purdue love from everyone baffles me. It sounds like Wade is at least a VCU fan, but the amount of respect UCLA gets for 3 straight final fours is baffling. I think they win comfortably.

I think it comes down to three things:

1. Eric Maynor. ESPN et al saw him control the game in the tourney against Duke two years ago and hit a game winning shot.

2. Anthony Grant. Coach Grant had the Florida job (where he was a long-time assistant to Donovan) when Donovan was headed to the NBA. He's a very good coach who will be at a BCS program within the next few years (a lot of us CAA fans think next year). He has already turned down BCS schools.

3. Larry Sanders. Sophomore Center with arms like Michael Phelps. He is very active under the basket blocking shots and could give a lot of teams trouble. Larry Sanders and Eric Maynor are both considered NBA prospects - you don't see that on a mid-major very often.

For me personally - I'm a big CAA fan (I have season tickets to William and Mary, a perennial bottom dweller in the CAA). I watch VCU play at least 2-3 games live each year and a few more on TV. When they are good, they are VERY good. This year's team can be streaky, but Eric Maynor is like the mid-major equivalent of Kobe Bryant late in games. (do not take that the wrong way, I'm just saying he takes the game over and puts it on his shoulders - not saying he is as good as Kobe) I have watched Maynor for four years and in about 20 games. He's a very good college bball player (I question his NBA prospects compared to what others think, but that's another story altogether). So - I think they have a very legit chance to win. I don't know UCLA well enough to say how much of a chance, but with their full-court press a blowout seems unlikely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote