Thread: Netbooks
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 11:52 AM   #10
flounder
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Thanks! I hadn't looked at that one, but it looks like a good deal as well. Here are some more questions:

Do you notice that any web sites don't work as well (or at all) on it?
Does the small keyboard give you any problems?
How's the battery life?
How would I install my Microsoft Office CD on it?

Yeah, some websites are obviously designed for a larger screen height (I run it at 1024x600). It's annoying to have to scroll sometimes, but not a major annoyance.

The only thing that bugged me about the keyboard was that the right shift key is smaller and right next to the up arrow key. I kept pressing the up arrow all the time. I fixed it by prying the keys off and swapping them, then remapping the keys in windows. I wouldn't want to type up a 100 page paper on one, but for normal typing it does fine.

I get about 6 hours on a battery charge with all the power saving stuff turned on. I have the 6 cell battery instead of the 3 cell which helps.

CDs are kind of a pain. You have to make an .iso file and transfer it to the netbook. Then there is a program called Virtual Clonedrive that will mount the iso like it's a cd drive. If you're going to use a lot of CDs on a regular basis (like games that require the CD be in the drive to play) I would make sure to get a big hard drive.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote