View Single Post
Old 01-31-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
Edward64
Head Coach

Iraq - New Norm, Elections

There's differing opinions on Iraq etc. but I do think its amazing, all things considered, that we now have peaceful provincial 6 years after the war.

Peace rules as polls close in Iraq - CNN.com
Quote:
"There is a new norm of politics. ... It is truly a proud moment," Iraqi Deputy Prime Minister Barham Saleh told CNN. "The distance that we have come is truly inspiring."

4,000 women run for office in Iraq - CNN.com
Quote:
BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Four thousand women are running for office in Iraq's provincial elections Saturday, and many of them will be guaranteed seats under an electoral quota system.

Iraq election hailed as 'great success' - Conflict in Iraq- msnbc.com
Quote:
BAGHDAD - Iraqis held their most peaceful election since the fall of Saddam Hussein on Saturday, and voting for provincial councils ended without a single major attack reported anywhere in the country.
  • It was only 1+ year ago, pre-surge when the majority of Americans thought it was lost.

Not sure if it means anything for the future, others will continue to doubt if it was worth it (I like to believe it was) and I am sure there are challenges ahead etc.

... but in this one moment of time I just want to say
  • Damn good save US Army et al.
  • Thanks for sticking to it GWB (in this particular situation); you are screwed in the history books but this might be one beacon of light that history will remember you well of.
  • Iraqis, as the cradle of civilization I wish you the best, here is your opportunity if you want it.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-31-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote