View Single Post
Old 12-04-2008, 08:44 AM   #14
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Another aspect of this is the lack of feedback in FOF. You make an offer and can see the total value of all other offers, but you have no idea what the player is thinking (aside from knowing he wants the best dollars-per-year with some nudge for bonus vs salary). What if FOF incorporated at least elements of the OOTP system? Instead of being shown all the outstanding offers and making your decisions, you get to see what offer the guy wants (like now) and then your feedback is more like:

"Your offer is good, but there are some others I like a bit better."

"Denver has offered more money, but I like your recent record. I think I'll sign with you."

"Are you kidding? You're not even close to what Miami, Buffalo, and New York are offering. I'll talk with them. Goodbye."

"It was a nice offer, and maybe we can do business in the future. But Miami, Buffalo, and New York are more competitive, so I'm going to focus on them. Thank-you for the interest."

"Your offer is good, but I'd really like a long-term deal. Can we add some years?"

"Right now I like your offer the best. Indy and Jacksonville are close though, and I'm going to give them another chance. Unless you want to give me a bit more bonus?"

"Your offer is the best out there, and negotiations have been good. I like the bonus and years. I'll sign with you."

"That blew me away. Wow, thanks! I'm not even listening to anyone else. Where do I sign."

Elements like that make it a bit more of a guessing game to compete with others, shows what the player actually thinks of your offer, and allows the player to pick some frontrunners early and get others off the gravy train. It still forces you to make a strong initial offer.

I'd also love to see guys come knocking on your door, especially if you have bid on them earlier and others dropped out. A good example of this is right now players might really like an offer and decide to accept it, but other signings mean the top team or two no longer have cap room. Why not go back to the top couple and say "anyone want to step up now that those two are out?"

I'd also like to see a true restricted free agency done, with tender offers that allow other teams to compete for the RFAs if they are willing to pay the draft picks if they sign. Suddenly those year 3 and year 4 guys aren't necessarily as cheap as they are now, if they are any good.