View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008, 07:06 PM   #98
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
I stayed up last night to watch Memphis play last night. We did not shoot the ball particularly well, but once again our length and athleticism will wear folks down. Tyreke Evans had a good game but the freshman I am most excited about is Wesley Witherspoon. He reminds me of a young Penny. He glides down the court and has a good outside shot and can handle the ball. He is a 6'8 PG. The kid is a baller.
Wow, that was not fun at all. I would say my worst fears about the offense were proven true - other than Harris and the freshmen, our personnel doesn't fit it well (Lowe is phenomenal on fast breaks, but we don't seem to get any of those anymore and Gurley is a spot-up shooter who we're asking to beat guys off the dribble and pull up) but really, the offense is about being more athletic 1v1 than the man guarding you and there isn't a more athletic team in the country than Memphis. I mean, other than Kemp do you guys have a player shorter than 6'6 with a huge wingspan? Other than the 400-pd guy do you have anyone who can't run a 4.5 40 or jump 40"+? We turned the ball over 15 more times than we could afford to (it seemed 80% of your points first half were breakaway dunks) but that full-court press you guys were throwing out there was the most terrifying thing I've ever seen. You guys even have the better looking Calipari daughter attending your school.

There were some bright spots. Ricky Harris continues to look great this year and in the offense, and you have to love seeing an ex-walk on who I played against (and lost badly to) in intramurals (Gaffney) throwing up 16pts 19reb with 5 blocks and 3 steals. Tyrell Lynch didn't look bad before foul trouble got him

I also wasn't a huge fan of the officials - too many ticky-tack fouls and carries/travels being called. I know they make it a point of emphasis early in the year and it falls off by conference play every year, but it's still annoying. Also, when it's still within 10 points in the second half or UMass is winning in the first, I'd appreciate the announcers paid a little attention to the game actually happening than talking about their All-American teams or games happening the next day.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote