View Single Post
Old 11-16-2008, 10:39 PM   #173
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
You've said that Manny's reached some kind of level of excellence where skipping games and attacking press secretaries shouldn't effect his value. I think EVERY player's value can go up or down based on what they give to the team, you apparently feel there's an upper cap where negatives should be disregarded, because there's no suitable replacements. We'll have to agree to disagree on that. On a roster of 25, there's always replacements. You can be a great player, it doesn't mean you're a great value.

Well the Red Sox way back when thought that Babe Ruth's value was negatively affected by his negative actions. How'd that work out for them?

Quote:
I think maybe you're mistaking me for someone who thinks pissing behind the green monster during a game or carrying around a water bottle in the outfield is bad for the team. I could care less about his goofy antics, and don't feel they should effect value. But when a guy actually skips games, you have to take that into account when determining value to the team. I'm not saying I would replace him Sean Casey out there.

As stated by JPhillips, when you give in to every desire for years this is not a surprise.