View Single Post
Old 11-14-2008, 04:40 PM   #139
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Royals with the signing of the day...

"Mike Arbuckle, the man responsible for drafting Chase Utley, Jimmy Rollins, Ryan Howard, Cole Hamels and other players who helped form the nucleus of the Philadelphia Phillies' 2008 world championship club, has taken a job with the Kansas City Royals as a senior adviser to general manager Dayton Moore.

The announcement will be made official at a news conference Friday afternoon.

Arbuckle, 58, recently left the Phillies when the team promoted Ruben Amaro Jr. to replace Pat Gillick as general manager. Arbuckle, an assistant GM who spent 15 years with the franchise and led its scouting efforts, and Amaro had been the only candidates considered for the job.

In his new role with Kansas City, Arbuckle said he will serve as a "right-hand man" to Moore and J.J. Picollo, the Royals' assistant GM for scouting and player development. Arbuckle will have input at both the professional and amateur levels.

"I'm really looking forward to the opportunity and the challenge," Arbuckle said Friday. "There are some very good baseball people in this organization. I couldn't have landed in a better situation.''

Arbuckle makes his home in Liberty, Mo.

"I've been spending 275, 280 nights a year on the road," he said. "It will be nice to be able to sleep in my own bed.""