View Single Post
Old 11-08-2008, 11:32 AM   #485
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
You have to take the result of the play into effect. If you take chances by hitting a guy from behind, or in the head like McSorley did, then you take chances with your career. The league should institute a sliding scale based upon past suspensions and each incident but the penalties should not be the same for everyone. The league can certainly identify repeat offenders or guys that just won't play by the rules. These cases need to be handled much more severely than a first time offender because there's a pattern present.

To answer your question about Jones, I think he should be suspended indefinitely pending the results of a medical examination on Bergeron. So, Jones is suspended for four games or something as a first time offender but that can be changed to be as long as Bergeron is unable to play due to the Jones hit. Jones is responsible for Bergeron's injury so he pays for it.

If the league said that any player that receives a major penalty in which his opposing player is injured because of that penalty (checking from behind, slashing, kneeing, etc) would be suspended pending a medical examination on the other player, guys would be much more careful on the ice. My point is that the league can do more and should do more.

I agree with your overall point (that the league can and should do more), but we'll have to agree to disagree on the punishment thing. I just can't understand why it should matter what happened to the guy you hit.

Look at the Bertuzzi incident as an example of my position. What he did is not uncommon. It has happened many times in the past, only most times when you sucker punch someone they just turn around and fight, or maybe fall to the ice and you get 5 minutes or a 1 game suspension or something. Unfortunately for everyone involved, Moore went down awkwardly and has never come back. But why is Bertuzzi any more of a thug than the dozens of other guys that came before him? Because he happened to pick the wrong guy at the wrong time?

Now, I'm not defending Bertuzzi. If the NHL feels that what he did should be removed from the game (which it should), then fine. Make it an automatic 40 game suspension. But apply that suspension to everyone, even the guy whose opponent whirls around and pummels the crap out of him. Don't let anyone off lightly. But also don't demonize someone for circumstances that others got away with completely.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote