View Single Post
Old 11-08-2008, 07:44 AM   #482
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I'm not saying the current situation makes sense, I'm saying your solution doesn't make sense. If Jones hits Bergeron with the same hit and Bergeron is miraculously unhurt, does Jones get no suspension? What if Bergeron is only out 3 games, does Jones get 3 games? Why should his penalty vary for the exact same act?

Bottom line: if hitting from behind is deemed dangerous and 'has no place in the game' as you say, then the NHL should have a very strict penalty regardless of outcome. Make it 20 games, make it 40 games, I don't care. Just make it the same for everyone (maybe harsher for repeat offenders) and make it the same no matter if the guy on the receiving end bounces back up to score a goal or if he dies on the ice.

You have to take the result of the play into effect. If you take chances by hitting a guy from behind, or in the head like McSorley did, then you take chances with your career. The league should institute a sliding scale based upon past suspensions and each incident but the penalties should not be the same for everyone. The league can certainly identify repeat offenders or guys that just won't play by the rules. These cases need to be handled much more severely than a first time offender because there's a pattern present.

To answer your question about Jones, I think he should be suspended indefinitely pending the results of a medical examination on Bergeron. So, Jones is suspended for four games or something as a first time offender but that can be changed to be as long as Bergeron is unable to play due to the Jones hit. Jones is responsible for Bergeron's injury so he pays for it.

If the league said that any player that receives a major penalty in which his opposing player is injured because of that penalty (checking from behind, slashing, kneeing, etc) would be suspended pending a medical examination on the other player, guys would be much more careful on the ice. My point is that the league can do more and should do more.

Last edited by samifan24 : 11-08-2008 at 07:47 AM.
samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote