View Single Post
Old 11-06-2008, 10:59 PM   #53
Izulde
Head Coach

After watching the Hogs' exhibition game with MJ4H, I've reached the following conclusions about Arkansas's basketball team this year.

1. We're going to get killed by teams who have size inside
Our tallest guys are 6'9 and they're not exactly the bruiser type. We really need to develop some kind of post game or teams will just blanket the hell out of our perimeter game and we'll be in trouble. Michael Washington really knows how to draw a charge and has some nice inside moves, but he's not a true five. Unfortunately, we don't have any big men, so he's it.

2. This is a very young, very exciting team that should score a ton of points.
Yes it was an exhibition game and against a podunk opponent at that, but Rotnei Clarke is going to light up the scoreboard game after game. I'll go on record right now as saying he'll get strong consideration for SEC Freshman of the Year and maybe even receive some national attention. The kid can flat out shoot and what's better, he hustles his ass on the floor. I'm going to love watching his first two years.

Courtney Fortson, our freshman PG, has some serious game, but in my opinion, right now he drives too often. I'm sure that'll change once he realizes that's not going to cut it as much as he likes to do it, but he's got the moves and it's just a matter of maturation and adapting to the Division I college game.

Overall, I noticed this is a very fast, very athletic team with a ton of talent and potential. This is also a team that runs its ass off and has a lot of guys that show great hustle. But with only three guys on the squad who logged any minutes at all in a Razorback uniform, there's going to be a period of adjustment and chemistry building. How quickly they develop that rapport and sense of cohesion, is, I think, going to be a key indicator of how this season goes. The future looks fantastic, though, especially if we can pick up a legit big man to bang around in the post.

3. Michael Sanchez should see the court as little as possible.
He was one of the starters in tonight's lineup, which went:

PG Courtney Fortson (FR)
SG Rotnei Clarke (FR)
3G Stefan Welsh (JR)
PF Michael Sanchez (RS FR)
C Michael Washington (JR)

Sanchez is ox-slow, has a permanently dazed look on his face and just doesn't have the skills on offense -or- defense, particularly in this system. He tries hard, but he simply can't cut it.

Personally, I really like Jason Henry (FR) from what I saw of him. He can pass, shoot, defend and rebound, but on the other hand, perhaps his versatility as a G/F would best be served to come off the bench. Then again, Montrell McDonald (JR/Juco Transfer) is a G/F as well. I'd personally hesitate to put Andre Clark (FR) in as the starter, because then the only guy with any size we have on the bench is Brandon Moore (FR). Both Clark and Moore are 6'9, as is Washington. So on second thought, I'll go back to the suggested lineup of:

PG Fortson
SG Clarke
3G Welsh
PF Henry
C Washington

Depending on how quickly they gel, I think the Razorbacks can surprise some people this season and end up with an at-large NCAA bid or at the very least an NIT invite.

Oh yeah... #4.

4. We have some seriously hot cheerleaders this year

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote