View Single Post
Old 11-01-2008, 08:08 PM   #38
RedKingGold
College Starter

Philadelphia Phillies Expected Free Agents based on: Top 50 MLB Free Agents 2009 | MLB Free Agents | Top 50 Baseball Free Agents

1B Wes Helms (Gone) - Shows him as on Philly, but he was traded before the end of last season.

3B Pedro Feliz (Back) - I think he'll be in higher demand, but I'd bet we'll get him re-signed. Really solid fielder, and has proven he can get a hit or two.

OF Pat Burrell (Gone) - Writing was on the wall when he led the victory parade. Believe it or not, I'd like to see him back. However, I doubt the Phillies will pay him anything close to what he wants. By signing and starting Shane Victorino and Jayson Werth, I think that Philly's philosophy is that outfielders are easy to come by. I'm not really sure where he'd go, but I imagine he'd fit in well with an AL team. As a last word, when you draft a guy first overall, the goal is that he will help lead you to a title before he leaves. While Burrell's definitely had his struggles, we wouldn't have won a title or survived the season without his performance in 2008. God speed Pat-the-Bat.

P Kris Benson (Gone) - Still not sure he's even on the team.

P Jaime Moyer (Back) - Philadelphia native and the team stuck by him when many others thought he was gone. He'll definitely need a raise and potentially two more years, but I feel pretty confidence Moyer will be back in Philly next year.

P Scott Eyre (Gone) - Although I've read that many expect him back, and I'd like him back, I get the feeling he'll get an offer from someone and move on. Plus, I don't rule out Philadelphia trying to get another lefty bullpen guy in the off-season.

P Tom Gordon (Gone) - Just had surgery on Oct. 15th to repair the ulnar. I wonder if a team will even sign him this year?

OF So Taguchi (Gone) - I think Philly might look to improve their bench elsewhere.

For those who are unaware, potentially the biggest move this off-season was already made with Reuben Amaro Jr. getting the GM job after Pat Gillick retired. Amaro's a strong candidate and I think as long as Mike Arbuckle sticks around, we're in good shape. Word is, Amaro was offered the Houston GM job last year (before former Philly GM Ed Wade received it), but turned it down after Gillick told Amaro he'd replace him in 2009.

As far as expected moves,

-Despite what I said above about the "Phillie's outfielder philosophy", the team was apparently really close to getting Matt Holiday last year. What killed the talks was the unwillingness to part with Shane Victorino and two prospects (Carrasco and Happ). Don't be surprised if Philly sneaks into the discussions and is able to get Holliday.

-I think there's more smoke than fire on the Manny Ramierz rumors. There's a part of me that would really like to dance with the devil on Ramierez (Utley-Howard-Ramirez = OMFG), but I think it's just too much of a risk with our current chemistry. If we lost the World Series, I'd probably see it more. But with a win, I think the temptation will be much less.

-The Phillies should actually be buyers on the FA market. Burrell's contract was an albatross and Abreu's contract comes fully off the books this year. So, I wouldn't be surprised to see us pick up a few players.

-Assuming Moyer is re-signed, I think Philly feels pretty good about their rotation. The wild-card is J.A. Happ. If he's ready to be the #5, then I don't see us being big spenders there. However, I think we will be in the running for Brian Fuentes (assuming the Mets don't blow us out of the water).

-In the lineup, we need another outfielder and power off the bench. Adam Dunn is probably too expensive but Bobby Kielty might be a good fit here.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote