View Single Post
Old 10-30-2008, 04:48 PM   #5
Travis
Pro Rookie

Count me in as very curious to see what direction the Jays will go. They've got a lot of young talent coming up but desperately need a big stick at DH or 1B (depending on what they do with Overbay). A lot of decisions to be made on who to rest the offense on next season and whether or not they make a serious push to bring AJ back as the #2 behind Halladay. Comments by Roy this year make it sound like another distant third finish in the AL East or worse will pretty much mean he'll be looking to leave town in favor of a contender mean they'd better get their act in gear and get the pieces in place to make the man happy.

If it were me I'd try and bring Barajas back as the full time catcher and look for a #4 or 5 hitter for the DH role (I think another season with Cito brings Overbay back to the gap/doubles hitter he can be). So an opening day lineup of something like:

C: Barajas
1B: Overbay
2B: Hill
3B: Rolen
SS: MacDonald
LF: Lind
CF: Wells
RF: Rios
DH: ?

Use Snider to spell the OF and 1B with Scutaro as the utility guy on the infield. Inglett seems to do pretty well as a spot guy and can play IF or OF which is a nice luxury. Pitching wise they're pretty solid even without AJ back though some late season injuries could put them behind the 8 ball. Get that big stick for the middle of the order and give a lot of these guys more time with Cito and the offense *should* be there. Just nice having optimism about the manager though it is too bad JP is still kicking around.