View Single Post
Old 10-28-2008, 03:48 PM   #379
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Well ML, looks like no Yzerman for the Leafs:

The moment Yzerman accepted the job of executive director of Team Canada for the 2010 Olympics, the Detroit Red Wings vice president essentially ended any chance of taking the next step in his NHL management career in the next 16 months.

"Yes, that's true," Yzerman told ESPN.com. "First of all, part of the reason I was given the responsibilities of the Olympic team is that I have a little bit more flexibility, a lot more flexibility really, than a general manager of an NHL team. I talked with [Hockey Canada president] Bob Nicholson about it, and one thing that was real important was having whoever was running the Olympic program to really have the ability to focus on it and be flexible in his schedule.

"So, I think it would be unfair to them if I all of sudden changed now and told them I was moving on to something else, as well. Bob could have gone out and got one of several current GMs to be in charge if that were the case."

Besides, Yzerman said he's totally happy working for the Red Wings right now, the only NHL team he has ever played for. So, it's not a guarantee he would jump ship for a GM job.

"At some point here in Detroit, we'll sit down and talk about my future," said Yzerman. "Because I would like to spend my entire time in the Detroit organization and that doesn't necessarily mean sitting around to be the general manager. We really haven't talked about it as an organization, in terms of the future.

"I love working for the Red Wings. I'm not out there actively pursuing other jobs."

"I like working with Kenny and Jim," said Yzerman. "Detroit's my home. I like it here. But I guess I would stop short of saying I would never leave for another opportunity."
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote