View Single Post
Old 10-23-2008, 10:27 PM   #40
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Hopefully this is not a health issue. IIRC Kevin O'Neil was designated as Lute's successor last year but got the boot when Olson said he was coming back and he did not want O'Neil around. Now they don't have Olson OR O'Neil.
O'Neill was a disaster. Half the players were either going to go pro or transfer if he stayed on.

As to Lute, he had missed three events for "health reasons" earlier in the week (Ast coach Reggie Geary had filled in for him). I have a feeling there's some health-related issues at play here.

AZ football coach Mike Stoops said this tonight: ""I just hope and pray he's in good health and happy with his decision. "

All signs point to a health issue and that would be real unfortunate. Lute put Arizona on the map and has been a gentleman his entire career. Back when I covered the team for the school paper, he would stay after press conferences to do one-on-ones with us all the time - something no other major coach would do in any sport.