View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 09:56 AM   #85
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
All these Weird Al songs and nobody's mentioned "The White Stuff" yet?

That was a song we listened to nonstop at summer camp way back in the day.
There's a joke in here somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
I must be getting old. I have no idea what song he's parodying in his new release...
Yeah, I sorta felt like that when the "Running With Scissors" album came out. I mean, I knew which songs he was parodying, but I hadn't heard them before. To this day, I still haven't heard "It's All About the Benjamins" and I heard "Pretty Fly For a Rabbi" before I heard "Pretty Fly For a White Guy." A long time ago, I had heard every song he parodied a bunch of times. Now, it's hit-and-miss. "American Idiot"? Yes, I've heard it a lot. "Ridin' Dirty"? No, I still haven't heard it at all.

I still love the parodies because they generally don't require you to hear the original first anyway. I guess the theme of "Smells Like Nirvana" would be lost on someone who hasn't heard the song he's parodying, but for the most part, the parodies work on their own.

I've now seen Weird Al in concert 4 times, and I'll see him the next time he performs within 50 miles of me, whenever that is. It'll probably be several years from now, but I guess I have to wait. It's not like I'm going to go to his house with a bloody bouquet of roses with his name stitched into my forehead.

Waaaait a minute. That gives me an idea...