View Single Post
Old 10-17-2008, 07:40 AM   #30
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Midnight madness practices are tonight! Exciting stuff.

Thought I'd pass on some pretty funny stuff from the kickoff luncheon for the Coaches vs. Cancer project that was held in KC last week. Coaches Norm Stewart, Mike Anderson, Bill Self, and Frank Martin were all in attendance.

Quote:
Norm Stewart talked about a 1997 loss at home to Coppin State and Head Coach Fang Mitchell. Of course that Coppin State team turned out to be pretty good and beat No. 2-seeded South Carolina in the NCAA Tournament as a No. 15-seed, but he recalled walking across the floor to shake Coach Mitchell's hand and said "Great game, Coach. Congratulations".

But as he walked away, he tracked down Coach Mitchell one more time: "You weren't supposed to win the God-damn game. We are supposed to get the win, you just get the damn guaranteed money."

Quote:
Coach Bill Self told a story about guarding Missouri's Jeff Strong in a MU-OSU game and how Strong may have "accidentally" slipped and hit his head in front of the Missouri bench. Coach Stewart yelled at Self, called him over and said "Self, you are the dirtiest player in this league."

Coach Norm Stewart quickly responded at the podium, "Well you were, and we always had to put our best defensive player on you (Self) ... when we wanted our player to rest".

And MU Coach Anderson didn't hesitate to add to the Bill Self dog pile saying: "Guard Bill? Heck, he was easy to guard, he never got off the bench."

KSU Coach Frank Martin's response? "I never had a chance to see Bill (Self) and Mike (Anderson) play in college, but I have to admit, I didn't watch a lot of Tulsa and Oklahoma State games when I was in the fifth grade."
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote