View Single Post
Old 09-17-2008, 08:48 AM   #16
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Wings' start their traning camp up in Traverse City later this week. Based on the most recent interview with Babcock, here's what the Wings' potential line-up could look like when the season starts:

Forwards:

Hossa-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
Hulder-Zettberg-Franzen
Cleary-Filppula-Samuelsson
Draper-Maltby-Helm/McCarty/Leino/Kopecky/Downey

Who knows how long he will be able to keep Datsyuk and Zetterberg apart. They keep wanting to do that, but they always seem to end up playing together. Assuming Franzen picks up where he left off at the end of last season, or even at about 75% of where he left off, they will have at least two very dangerous lines and very good depth. I always envisioned the top two lines as follows:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
Franzen-Filppula-Hossa

I guess we'll see how it all shakes out.

As for the "bubble" players, things will shake out during camp and on the pre-season. Despite how great Helm played as a rookie in the playoffs (he really added quite a spark with his speed), I think he'll be sent to Grand Rapids simply because he can. Leino, the top (or second) leading scorer in the Finish league last year, will be interesting. I doubt he makes the Wings' roster out of the gate, but if he can show he's got the skills to play in North America he could be quickly recalled. The Wings signed both Downey and McCarty to two-way deals. I like both players, but there really is only room (and need) for one of these guys on the roster. I think Kopecky, assuming he is and can remain healthy, will make the team.

Defense:

Lidstrom-Rafalski
Stuart-Kronwall
Lebda/Chelios/Quincey/Meech/Lilja/Ericsson

The top 4 are set.

The Wings have a bit of log jam after that, except for Lebda, who I also think is a given to make the team.

Both Quincey and Meech have run out of AHL options. They'd need to clear waivers if they get sent down, so I'd look for one of the two to get moved before the season starts. It's also possible that this could happen with Lilja as well.

I think Chelios will be on the team, but only see spot duty.

I think Ericsson has the most potential out of the bunch, but because he has at least another year left in the minors, he may get squeezed out and spend another year in Grand Rapids.

Goalies:

Osgood
Conklin/Howard

I think Conklin will beat out Howard for the back-up spot. Conklin is a great back-up and has proven he can handle the load in case of injury. Question marks always hang over the Red Wings' netminding situation, but I don't know what else Osgood has to prove. He's won two Cups and has been very solid in net the last couple of years, particularly during last year's playoffs. Still, if anything can derail the Wings it would be either injuries or spotty goaltending.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote