View Single Post
Old 09-11-2008, 07:13 PM   #16
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
A lot of IT job listings will either list that MCSE, A+, MCP, etc. are required or at least preferred. It is getting to the point that having certs is like having a Bachelor's degree -- pretty much mandatory.

Only entry level. Otherwise, totally disagree. They can help justify more pay, but I made it far into my career, easily, without having one. The other two top guys in the place I just left, zero certs and no college. Ironically the lower tier guys pretty much all went through college, one had a few network certs. Most listings that say it's required will look the other way in a heartbeat.

The job I just got required a college degree, but I still got the job without one. Unless they have a specific need for a cert(like those reasons listed for consulting) experience trumps all, college as well.

Quote:
Also, don't be fooled into believing that you will get a Windows admin job with just the certs and no experience. Most likely you will do phone/desktop support to start.

A good interviewer can net a junior job in the right spot. Namely patient management and a solid senior guy.

Last edited by jeff061 : 09-11-2008 at 07:19 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote