View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 11:23 PM   #46
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I think they can gameplan for him plenty, in the sense of "gameplan for a backup QB who nobody needs to worry particularly about." I think a defensive gameplan vs the Brady Patriots is a lot different than a gameplan vs. Less Than Average QB Patriots. He's essentially a rookie, and they'll do all the pressure they put on rookies, making him make the reads and plays that Brady usually would and Cassel probably won't.
I'm sure the blitz percentages will be upped a bit, but you need to know what formations the Pats will be running to scheme effectively. And now even I don't know how they'll look the next few weeks. A big point talked about for why Cassell is the starter is that he knows the system, which is highly spread-heavy, implying they'd keep running the same basic package of formations. At the same time, it's natural to run the ball more and employ more max-protect schemes, but those would be out of what, an I-formation (I think we used an I twice all last year). We also don't really have the TE depth/quality we used to to run a stereotypical ball control 2-TE offense. The final factor, if we stay in the spread, is that under Brady his strength was getting 5-6 yards every play. Under Cassell, it was big-play dependent (SSS obviously). Do you really want to blitz and leave Randy Moss (and to a lesser extent Welker short) in 1v1 coverage deep? That's about as big a gift you can give any inexperienced QB, as the chances of him hitting a couple bombs is IMO greater than sustaining the 5-6yd chunks-type drives the Pats were known for under Brady. Add in the main RB Maroney being more boom/bust than we'd want to see, I would be tempted to play a pretty straight defense and make Cassell beat you every play by making the right timing throw than letting him mess up 50% of the time and get bailed out with big plays.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 09-09-2008 at 11:24 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote