View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 08:49 AM   #427
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCY Junkie View Post
I asked on madden release day if I could start a list for when they bring HC back and he told me also they couldn't sell them until released. Then he tried to push the CE down my throat, I left the store.

That's his job.

All in all, Madden actually isn't that bad of a game. Not perfect. Franchise screwed up beyond belief. Some stupid quirks they should have fixed years ago. But not bad.

Head Coach is incredibly fun. I'm going to wait until the patch to start a serious career. Until then I've been going through FA, drafts and week one. I'll usually play 3 "week 1 and 2 games" with the roster I built up. They don't know all of the plays, but with the Broncos you open up against the Raiders and play the Chargers in week 2, so you get a good taste of a bad and good team to go against.

I'll start with the on the field game. I raise the HB slider WAY up and the run blocking up about 10 and have very little trouble with the ground game. I traded up and drafted McFadden and in three games against the Raiders he had 24 carries, 125 yards (long of 23), 14 carries 52 yards and 20 carries 140 yards (broke off a 65 yard TD run, 19 carries for 75 yards not counting that). Against the Chargers he had 18 carries for 47 yards, 23 carries for 113 yards and 13 carries for 59 yards.

I don't have much of an issue with the QB's. The passing game seems to be good. (though I REALLY wish you could ORDER your QB to throw it to your number 1 WR. There are times I know Marshall will get one on one coverage and Cutler will still throw it to the TE)

The off season? Sensational. Unbelievably well done. I can't tell you how deep this thing is and all of the things that happen. Now that I know what I'm doing, I can spend 3 to 4 hours on the offseason and the draft, then do it all over again without playing a game. I've played through the offseason with 10 to 12 teams and have had a blast with every one of them.

There are a few minor problems. The Dolphins will give me the 32nd pick for John Lynch everytime. Older players who are rated highly still get you really good picks, even at weaker positions. (I can also get a 2nd for Nalen) You can also get 2nd round picks for great kickers. (Elam, Hanson, Akers)

So if you're the Broncos and want to load up on the '08 draft, trade Lynch, Nalen (sign Faine in the FA period for your center), and Elam. You'll have the 12th pick in the draft, the 32nd, the 42nd and two more second round picks. With those you can move up if you desire, trade down and load up for the '09 draft or load up on a lot of solid players. (in one draft I ended up with McFadden ('09 first round pick, 32nd pick and 3rd rounder to the 10th spot) Clady (my 12th pick) and Phillips (I traded my two highest second rounder to move up and get him)

Of course, if you play that way, be careful of the salary cap implications. It will get rough.

One tip I can give everyone: When trading, never, ever, ever take the first offer. Go back and forth. Let the clock run out on a trade. For instance with Elam, I went through 4 trade negotiations for him and they go better each time. The first time teams were offering 5th round picks or worse for him. I asked fora 3rd. They didn't budge, I exited. By the time I finally dealt him, 1 team was offering a 2nd and 2 other teams were at a 3rd.

Most exciting moments in the game thus far:

1) San Diego at Denver: A handfull of big plays kept me in the game. Down 24 to 23, I have the ball at my 15 with 6 minutes left. I drive up the field and kick a FG. San Diego drives right back up the field and gets to the 22 yard line. It's going to be a 39 yarder to win the game for the Chargers. I call a time out to freeze him. kep plunk. Off the up right. The upstart Broncos upset the Chargers to go 1-1. (yeah, I was crushed by the Raiders the previous week)

2) I want Mendenhall in a draft. The mock draft says he's going 22 or 23. The Lions offer me a great package to move to 15. (they throw in a 2nd round '09 pick) I figure three spots and I'll still get the guy I want. Then it flashes across the screen. . . they picked Mendenhall. Ugh. I actually slumped on the couch. FM is about the only game I've ever done that with.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote