View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 03:36 PM   #1014
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
First, I'm sure many Chinese were offended, even if the official state stance was to the contrary.

You are braver than I am to presume the level of offense of something to a different culture. I feel that situations like these reveal more about ourselves than anyone else.

Quote:
It's ignorant because they apparently didn't realize the picture would get out and cause a minor rukkus. I have no idea who's right, wrong, or racist. But if I was there when that picture was taken, I would have thought, "these people are morons, just wait until the press gets a hold of this". And there's no practical consequences, if they don't care that a lot of people will THINK they're racists, and they don't care that their nation will face scrutiny that will highlight the racial issues there.

I have no doubt that you or I would expect this picture to cause an uproar. We live in a very racially sensitive country where everything likely to cause a racial uproar. How sensitive are other countries? Have Spain and China had racial issues in the past? I'm not saying that the Spanish people shouldn't have known better since I don't know the related racial sensitivities, but I don't discount the possibility that maybe they had no reason to know better.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote