View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 08:46 PM   #1010
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
You didn't understand what i wanted to mean, or maybe it was my own problem not being able to write what i wanted to say. What i tried to mean is that with all the issues that other countries (I.E. USA) had with racism in the past, your press and society is way more sensible about it, maybe even too much, so what in another country could be thought as a simple joke, your press can make it a huge deal and creating the real racist issue from nowhere. For example making such a big deal from that picture when even the Chinese didn't care about it.

I think you and the Chinese ambassador to Spain would be more likely to understand how it can be offensive if you lived in a homogeneously populated country that has a large Chinese population. (And therefore been exposed to disrespect and intolerance based upon Chinese heritage.) Its disrespectful. One little disrespectful remark or pose shouldn't be a big deal, but when you go out of your way to make it part of something that is seen by millions? And no one thought "Well gee, maybe we shouldn't do this? We can have fun doing something a little more respectful..." I guess for an encore, if there is ever a summer games in Africa, Spanish players can just put on some black paint on their faces and grab some replica spears or something. No big deal, all in good fun.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote