View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008, 11:57 PM   #484
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Thinking about this last night, I realized two huge flaws. First, they only have 4 events in womens, compared to 6 for the men. More importantly, the 3 up, 3 down format. There's only 12 scores total, and all of them count. That doesn't encourage difficulty - it punishes mistakes (which would seem to fall under the perfection is what gymnastics is about argument someone (SI?) made).

It was someone else, but I was thinking about this earlier today again. I actually kindof take exception to the statement made with gymnastics being about perfection. If that was the case, then you might as well just go with the easy routine, score 9.5-10 on your execution and, to go back to the BCS example, it explains why very few teams want to play good non-conference games since there's no reward for the risk.

I'm actually glad for the new system- it should work better in theory. I'd rather, for instance, a harder dismount with a big step than an easy jump off the bar that's stuck. The problem is that the judges need to adjust their thoughts of execution- they still score like it's the old system.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote