View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 06:46 PM   #378
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Have you watched the youtube video in the game vs Russia 2 years ago (under 16yo Euro cup)? He scored 55 points, grabbed 24 rebounds, made 12 assists, and stole the ball 7 times.

Besides that high scoring performance, i must agree with you that he is not the typical NBA scoring PG, but more of an Euro PG, with incredible vision/IQ and who passes first, but Calderon is also the same style of euro PG and he is doing well in Toronto. He can become a top player in assist and steals, as unlike Calderon, Rubio is a top defender. He will need good scorers aronud to receive his passes. His best shooting is at the PT, with 80%. He debuted at 14 years old in the Spanish pro league and was elected 2008 best PG in Spanish pro league being only 18 years old, that set a new record.

He is eligible in the next draft, and already considered a top prospect by some websites (even top 3 pick, but i doubt it).
I've been hearing about this guy since that tournament, and the two problems I've heard are that he's not quick enough at this time to be a good NBA point guard (we saw how this killed Sarunas Jasikavecious in the NBA) and also that his contract might not allow him to go NBA next year. The quickness will hopefully come as he grows into his body and trains more, but the latter he might not enter the draft next year and wait until 2010. Two things that could affect it - a huge Olympics could get the hype high enough for an NBA team to pay the buyout, and contrarily if Brandon Jennings succeeds in Europe it could lessen the hype on Rubio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I watch gymnastics hoping for another Kerry Strugg moment, not for who the judges decide is going to win.
Heh, as KCChief pointed out, the Karolyi's forced her out on a broken ankle even though they mathematically had the competition sewn up, and NBC hyped it incredibly during prime time even though the actual competition took place 8 hours earlier and they clearly knew by that time it hadn't affected the outcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
Really though are people actually arguing that they felt the American team performed better than the Chinese? It didn't even look close to my untrained eyes.
I don't think anyone is saying the US deserved Gold over the Chinese, and I have no way of knowing how good Japan was on 5 of the 6 rotations. Our pommel horse and floor routines were pretty poor, and I didn't even see the US on rings (although I don't see how we could come close to China there). Specifically on the high bar I think the US was better than China, and on that one rotation (US high bar/China vault) I didn't see how China was scored so much better they went from a point back to 2 in the lead. To my untrained eye, that was our best event and we nailed our routines, yet we lost ground to the favored team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I'm sure difficulty is determined beforehand.
I think you turn in a routine, but then they can lower it if you skip an element. I would think you should be able to add in elements, and I agree with Jas_lov - that 3rd German guy should have tried to add some huge elements even if he had virtually no chance of hitting them. Nobody cares if you finish 4th or 8th, go for the bronze.

Oh well, time to watch the judging on reputation favor us (although that Shawn Johnson girl is phenomenal at landings and balance.)

Last edited by BishopMVP : 08-12-2008 at 06:49 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote