View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 11:19 AM   #24
timmynausea
College Starter

HBO is in a major transitional period. Many, if not most, of the HBO shows mentioned here so far are over or nearing the end of their run. (Hopefully Curb Your Enthusiasm has a couple of seasons left.)

The creator of Six Feet Under, Alan Ball (he also wrote American Beauty) has a new show coming out this fall called True Blood. I think it can best be summed up as a "quirky vampire drama" based on a series of mystery novels by Charlaine Harris. The premise is that the development of synthetic blood (true blood) allows vampires to become accepted members of society. Ball has a dark sense of humor, so I'm hoping it'll be pretty funny. The pilot actually leaked onto the internet recently, and I thought it was decent, though I guess they're reshooting a lot of it as they've recast one of the bigger roles.

Also somewhat Six Feet Under related, Rodrigo Garcia has a show called In Treatment staring Gabriel Byrne as a shrink. It's a half hour show following Byrne's character as he treats patients and also as he himself sees another psychiatrist. Season 1 was something like 40 episodes, so it's a pretty unique project. Garcia directed many episodes of Six Feet Under and Carnivale, and I liked his movies as well. I've only seen the first episode, but I'm hoping to get caught up at some point as I thought it looked promising.

I'm definitely looking forward to Generation Kill, too, but I'm not aware of what other shows HBO has on the horizon. I know they have the rights to George R.R. Martin's A song of Ice and Fire series, but that'd be way down the road if it does happen. Hopefully the Deadwood creator has something else in the works.

Last edited by timmynausea : 07-02-2008 at 11:23 AM.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote