View Single Post
Old 10-24-2000, 05:57 PM   #26
SackAttack
Head Coach

2001 Preseason Games

We sold a whopping 63,300 season tickets this year. Only 10,000 below capacity.

RB Drew Langford, G Jake Emmons, and T Anthony Brown get deactivated, as does Orlando Cornett, the corner still recovering from back surgery.

WR Marvin Harrison is inked to a 1 year deal worth about $1.33 mil, bringing us to a full contingent of 5 WRs. We'll figure out what to do with the roster once Cornett is healed.

Game One

CLEVELAND 21, San Diego 14

Two TD passes from Alex Van Pelt, and two FGs from Bob Baker. Not a worldbeater offense, but then, our third string QB played the whole game. I'll take it.

Game Two

CLEVELAND 35, New Orleans 20

I'll be the first to admit that preseason games amount to exactly a hill of beans in the long run, but its still pleasing to start beating up on the runts of the litter. It means we may be taking a step towards shedding our own runthood.

Game Three

CLEVELAND 20, San Francisco 16

Cominag against a team with 22 wins, 2 playoff berths, and an NFC West championship in the last two seasons, this might actually BE a significant win, even if its only preseason. Especially considering that we overcame a 16-7 deficit with 13 4th quarter points, all but 3 of those inside the final 2 minutes. Say what you will, I'm encouraged about our ability to perform in crunch time.
The bad news is, Karl Williams, one of our most reliable wideouts the last two seasons, is out for 2-3 months with a torn thumb ligament.
His replacement will be a fella by the name of Oronde Gadsden, a former Miami wideout who's coming off a 960 yard season - a season in which he was a backup all year long.

Game Four

CLEVELAND 19, New York 16

Our first undefeated preseason in team history. Its a proud moment. Incidentally, we showed a bit of character in the process, as New York rallied to score all 16 points in a 2:32 span, forcing Bob Baker to kcik a field goal - one of four on the game - as time expired to hang on for the win. No major injuries this week, meaning we head into the regular season optimistic and hopeful that this may be a playoff year for us.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote