View Single Post
Old 10-23-2000, 04:45 PM   #25
SackAttack
Head Coach

2001 Amateur Draft

With the #5 and #6 picks in the first round, this draft is probably the most critical we've faced yet. Two good picks here could send us well on our way to glory, while two poor picks could put us in the toilet for a long time to come.

The first thing I see is WR Ricardo Gleason. Boy has a current rating of 7.2 and future potential of 8.0. He's even got a little bit of skill when it comes to kick/punt returns. The one knock on him is that he's only 6'2". I'd like it if he had a little more height on him, but that's probably irrelevant as I don't expect him to fall to #5.

He doesn't even fall to #2, and the other WR I had looked at goes with the #4 pick. Unfortunate, perhaps, but this allows me to concentrate on my other need positions. According to my scouts, that means T and LB.

The top rated tackle on the board is Albert Huettner, a 6'5", 303 lb. behemoth of a man out of New Mexico. He's not much of a run blocker, but he has a reputation for keeping his QB safe. We'll give him a shot.

Having traded Ruben Brown in the offseason, I decide to use the #6 pick to further cement my front line, selecting Randal LeBlanc out of Iowa. Like Huettner, he's a big guy, 6'7" and 316 lbs of offensive line fury. Unlike Huettner, he's a pretty mobile guy. My gamble here is that WR Mike Bridgman and LB Richard Giles slip to the 2nd/3rd rounds, respectively.

Neither makes it out of the first round, as San Diego takes Bridgman at #10, and Arizona takes Giles at #22. They weren't the top-rated players at their positions at the times, which is why I had hoped they would fall.

With few options remaining at LB, and no viable starting options at WR, I select LB Alonzo Gartland out of Iona. He's not much of a pass rusher, but he'll help us limit the damage on the ground and in the air.

By the third round, there are a surprising number of >6.0 rated players, including QB Bubba Strong, a 6'6" fella out of Washington State. Looking at my roster, I see that I need a 3rd QB, and $500,000 seems a hefty price to pay for Warner, so I pull the trigger on Strong.

We could also use a third center, so my fourth round pick is used to select Kendrick Kramer out of Rutgers. Nothing spectacular, but he won't be horrible in the event that we have need of his services, either.

At this point, its down to corners and linebackers, so I select Cedric Pickens, a corner out of Tennesee. He could potentially compete for a starting job, but then, we've come to expect this from late round corners.

The Sixth Round Safeties won't be gaining a new member this year, as that particular position was as shallow as a southern gene pool. Instead, my scout drafts the final two rounds, selecting Drew Langford, a RB out of Mississippi State, and Leroy Lincoln, a DE out of Illinois.

[This message has been edited by SackAttack (edited 10-24-2000).]
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote