View Single Post
Old 10-22-2000, 11:20 PM   #17
SackAttack
Head Coach

2000 Preseason Games

It was a tumultous inaugural year for the Browns. The start of the 2000 season holds promise, especially as my scout seems to think we have one of the better defenses in the league. The offense is another story, but I have to believe that Cris Kneiling can only improve on his rookie QB rating of 63.0. Hopefully our improved offensive line will keep the sack totals down and give him more time to throw the ball.

Preseason Week Two

CLEVELAND 27, Arizona 24

Not a bad way to get the ball rolling. Bob Baker had two FGs from beyond 50 yards, and rookie RB Dixon Schrempf had the game winning score on a 55 yard TD run. 90 yards on 10 carries too. Not a bad way of sayin' "Howdy, fellas."
The bad, horrible, awful news is, recent FA signing Ruben Brown, the G we hired to give Kneiling some protection, tore a calf muscle and will be out for 2-3 months. Not good. Fortunately we have some money to sign FAs with, but its tough to replace a guy who had a BPctof 41.2 and only allowed 2 sacks all of last season.

Preseason Week Three

If you gotta replace a guy like Brown, Dan Neil is as good as any. 33 KRbs in 70 chances, as opposed to 33/80 for Brown. Higher pct, yes, but allowed 4 sacks to Brown's 2. Still, he'll get a shot.

Buffalo 22, CLEVELAND 10

The first thing I notice is a 48 yard TD run by Schrempf. The second is 3 INTs. The third is that Van Pelt had two of them. Kneiling was 9-12 for 75 yards with the other INT. However, it appears his INT was the one run back for a score. Steve Christie had 3 early FGs, and Bob Baker missed 2 of 3. Must have been the rain.

Preseason Week Four

Washington 29, CLEVELAND 24

Two field goals from Rex Lake in the final 3:34 cost us this game. Rookie safety John Stewart had a 50 yard INT for a score. I'm starting to like these Sixth Round Safeties. In fact, that's their new nickname.

Preseason Week Five

New Jersey 31, CLEVELAND 31

A wild game, this. Stewart and Mincy combined for 3 picks, with Mincy running one of his two back for a 50 yard score. Schrempf continues to impress, with yet another TD run. This kid is lookin' REAL good.

Regular season, comin' right up.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote