View Single Post
Old 10-22-2000, 05:01 PM   #13
SackAttack
Head Coach

2000 Free Agency

We get the FA ball rolling by attempting to lure Buffalo G Ruben Brown away with a 3 year deal worth $7.12 million. His blocking percentage of 41.2% makes him worth both of my current starters, sadly.

We also attempt to upgrade our defensive line by offering 3 years and $9 mil to DE Tony Brackens and $12.78 mil over 4 years to DE Mike Jones.

Finally, despite having the Defensive Rookie of the Year at safety, we make an offer of $6.39 mil over 3 years to Tampa Bay safety Charles Mincy, coming off a season in which he was named Defensive Player of the Year.

Week 4 sees both of the DE's make a decision, as Brackens accepts our offer and Jones opts to stick with his hometown Rams. The Rams, interestingly enough, are also making a play for the return of Tony Banks. Gluttons for punishment, obviously.

I up my offer to Brown to 4 years and $12.87 mil, and offer Mincy $12.72 mil over 4 years. Both offers are substantially higher than what we had originally offered the players, but there's no denying the impact they could have on our offensive line and secondary.

Brown finally accepts our offer in Week 10, leaving Mincy as the lone undecided among our FA lusts. Week 11 erases all doubts, as he decides to follow the leads of Brown and Brackens. With $37 mil left under the cap, its time to turn our attention to resigning some of our native FAs.

G Jake Emmons signs a 5 year deal worth $11.41 million, and we're underway. Kurt Warner signs another 1 year contract, but again, he's on the roster mainly as a cheap body in case we get in QB trouble.

We tender offers to Karl Williams and DE Anthony Cook for $3.42 mil/2 years and $3.87 mil/3 years, respectively. I'd like to resign our two RBs, but their salary demands aren't consistent with their ratings or season stats from last year, despite a few standout games. We'll see how they feel in a couple weeks.

Williams signs right away, but Cook decides to take an extra week to mull it over before signing in Week 13.

FB Craig Heyward signs a 2 year contract with Detroit in Week 14, leaving us without our starting FB, for all that matters.

The 20 week period comes to an end, and of our remaining FAs, the following sign contracts:

Rich Griffith, TE -- 1 year, $440,000
Alex Van Pelt, QB -- 3 years, $2.65 mil
Kevin Mawae, C -- 1 year, $900,000

Draft to follow.

[This message has been edited by SackAttack (edited 10-22-2000).]
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote