View Single Post
Old 06-08-2008, 12:28 PM   #3008
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Quite true (sometimes you wonder what would have happened if she didn't put her career on hold for her husband's political career) ... but that also speaks to a sad reality. How far can a woman get in this country in politics?

I don't think it has very much at all to do with her being a woman. I was talking to someone at my work before the caucus here in Kansas and she asked "Do you think a woman can win the Presidency right now". And I'll stand by my response: "Of course, just not this one."

I mean, really, in a country that is pretty much 50/50 men/women and all have the right to vote. Why in the heck would being one or the other be a huge disadvantage? It's just that because women in power is a fairly recent phenomenon that they don't have the "infrastructure"- only a few women senators, representatives, and governors- so the pool of "qualified candidates" is much smallter than men. But that will change and is already changing. It's just that these things take some time.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-08-2008 at 12:30 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote