View Single Post
Old 10-22-2000, 12:57 AM   #6
SackAttack
Head Coach

1999 Preseason Games

QB Cris Kneiling gets the nod as the starting QB. Not that he really has many offensive weapons, but hey. All he has to do is get the ball to the 30 or so and we're golden.

Our inaugural game comes in week 2 of the preseason against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. As if our offense didn't have enough problems already, the Bucs D is sure to give us headaches.

Tampa Bay 26, CLEVELAND 20

Surprisingly, we make it respectable. Bob Baker was 2-for-3 kicking field goals, including a long of 33 yards. Kneiling was a little shaky in his debut, going 8-16 for 118 yards, including a TD pass and an INT. Donnell Bennett led the team with -- prepare yourself -- a whole 8 yards rushing. Smashmouth football at its finest.

CLEVELAND 9, Minnesota 8

Believe it or not, there were NO offensive TDs in this game. Baker hit a 41 yarder for the opening score of the game, and Minnesota registered 2 FGs and a safety in a 10 minute span in the 2nd half. Cleveland's final points came on a 72 yard fumble return from Keith Burns followed by a failed conversion. We got 85 yards on the ground this time around, but neither Kneiling nor Van Pelt did much, as the two combined to go 9-19 with 77 yards.

CLEVELAND 20, Chicago 14

Is this a winning streak I see before me? Some interesting tidbits: Junior Ishikawa scored a TD, amazingly. Baker hit the extra point, but wasn't heard from the rest of the game, as punter Wendell Hollier hit two field goals of 54 and 41 yards, respectively. Not really sure what happened there, as Baker's name isn't on the injury list. Too much pickle juice, perhaps?

Philadelphia 10, CLEVELAND 6

Baker with a pair of field goals from inside the 30 yard line, and that was the story of our offense. Still, I can't help but be pleased with a defense that has only given up a combined 3 points more than the offense has scored. If we can keep getting within field goal range, and the defense continues to play inspired, we might be able to salvage a respectable inaugural season. Opening day is next week against the always formidable Pittsburgh Steelers. Yeah, right.

[This message has been edited by SackAttack (edited 10-21-2000).]
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote