View Single Post
Old 10-21-2000, 05:24 PM   #4
SackAttack
Head Coach

1999 Amateur Draft

This draft is kind of unique in that no position is really deep in players. Each position has one or two top players, while the rest are ordinary at best. There are a couple of defensive ends I like, as well as a solid looking running back, but I suspect I'm going to need a quarterback if I intend to win more than 2 games this season.

With that in mind, I select Cris Kneiling out of Michigan State. Not the most spectacular quarterback I've ever seen, but he's got a cannon for an arm and a knack for the third down conversions. I expect he'll see quite a few of those this season.

Both of the defensive ends I liked were gone by #10, and Green Bay took the running back I liked, a fella by the name of Conrad Saleh. I figure offensive line protection is going to be the biggest issue this season, so I use my 2nd pick to draft the last decent center, Nick Logan out of Thomas More. He's pretty solid, and should easily be the starter.

I had intended to sign a punter and a kicker after the draft, but by the start of the third round, the talent pool is rather depleted, save for an 8.0 rated kicker out of Wake Forest named Bob Baker. Needs to work some on his accuracy, but he'll give us a chance near midfield.

CB Orlando Cornett, out of Western Michigan, is our 4th selection. He won't ever do much against the run, but he'll be a decent pass rusher, and may even get 4-5 picks a year. Playing opposite Sehorn will help him, I think.

Punter Wendell Hollier out of Holy Cross is our 5th selection. Nothing spectacular here, but he's one of the best remaining in what has admittedly been a weak field.

I let Blackwell make our final two picks, and he responded by drafting safety Howie Underwood from Tennessee, and linebacker Mo Pathon out of Boston College.

Underwood isn't completely horrible, and Pathon is basically a warm body. For the time being, we need all of those we can get. Post-draft signings to fill out the roster, as well as training camp, will happen a little later on today.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote