View Single Post
Old 10-24-2000, 07:01 AM   #43
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

2003 AMATEUR DRAFT

I start with 6 picks: 1(4), 2(4), 3(4), 4(15), 6(4) and 7(4). Of course, I'd like a QB and a S. I also would like decent backups at C and TE. I close my eyes, click on the ol' Draft Players option, and I see........a half decent QB (a 2nd or 3rd round type) and an 8.0 safety!!! Here's who I draft:

1(4):S Warren Richey (Miss. St, 5.0, 8.0)--He is 46/88 in run defense, 50/100 in pass defense, 94 in interceptions, 95 in endurance. Yes!
2(4):QB Barry McWilliams (Kentucky, 2.0,6.5)--Picked him earlier than I would have liked, but I couldn't make a good trade down, and I wanted to make SURE I didn't lose him. He has an 85 rating in 3rd down passing, and most of his potentials are in the 50's, 60's and 70's. Will be given a chance to start this year.
3(4):TE Todd Grady (South Carolina,2.8,4.1)--Solid-looking backup TE that I need.

No other SEC talent left, so I trade away the 4th, 6th and 7th rounders for a 3rd rounder next year. Overall, I can't help but be pleased with this year's draft.

NOTE: After the draft, the computer offered me a 2nd-round draft choice next year for Danny Wuerffel. He is in the last year of his contract, and with Tsoi's showing last year and the drafting of McWilliams, I was wondering how I was going to decide which of the THREE I would start this year. Wuerfell seems the least likely to be the long-term solution of the three, so I take the 2nd-rounder for him.