View Single Post
Old 05-09-2008, 11:25 PM   #365
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I think in years past, I would agree, but Manu carried that team this year, not Duncan. He's obviously a valuable piece to their success, but I think he's starting to drop at this point. I'm not saying he isn't a surefire HAOF, I think that he's probably not quite the same player he was before. I think that he's in the next tier still

I totally disagree with this, but it is a popular sentiment this year. There is still a HUGE difference between the impact Duncan and Manu have on the games. For the last four years, Duncan's minutes have been down from what they were prior to that in the regular season, but his numbers this year(34.0 mpg, 19.3 ppg, 11.3 rpg, 2.8 apg, 2.0 bpg) are right in line with what he's done over that four-year period. His FG% is down from an outstanding year last year but is about what it was the two years previous and his FT% has not been higher than this year's 73% except in 99-00 and 01-02.

As for Manu, he missed twice as many games as Duncan did(8 to 4). He scored more than Duncan this season but when you add in all the other things that Tim does -- he's the basis for the Spurs team on both ends of the floor far more often than Manu is -- it really isn't even close.

I'd put Kobe, LeBron, and, Duncan in the top tier with Garnett, Howard, and Paul close behind them. Everybody else you could throw in there(Wade, McGrady, etc.) has issues. If Paul keeps playing like he has he'll move up to the top, ditto for Howard and KG if he comes through in the playoffs this year.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote