View Single Post
Old 05-07-2008, 08:50 AM   #328
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...ge_tab_newstab

Atlanta Hawks general manager Billy Knight has resigned after six years with the organization, effective July 1.

Knight resigned Tuesday night after a late afternoon meeting with Hawks part owner and NBA Governor Michael Gearon Jr.

"The time has come for me to take a break and fully evaluate my future plans," Knight said in a statement released by the organization Wednesday morning. "I am tremendously pleased with what we were able to accomplish this season in reaching the postseason, as the Hawks' return to the playoffs energized the city and our franchise.

"My passion for the franchise has never wavered, but I feel I'm leaving the organization in much better shape than it was in when I took over. I also appreciate the jobs done by Mike (Woodson), his staff and the players during this season. They are most deserving of the praise and accolades they earned during a tough, seven-game series against the Eastern Conference's top team entering the playoffs, and I wish them and the Spirit organization the very best in the future."

The Hawks ended a nine-year playoff drought this season and pushed the Boston Celtics to a Game 7 in a first round playoff series that ended Sunday.

Knight, 55, built the Hawks from the ground up, having spent his first season with the organization as the director of basketball operations before taking over as general manager.

The Hawks' best season under Knight came this year with a 37-45 regular season record and that first round playoff exit.

We respect the decision Billy has made to resign and we are grateful and appreciative of the job he has done," Gearon said in a statement released by the team.

"Billy has built a team of athletic, high character players who have enormous potential. Under his leadership, the Hawks were not only the youngest team in this year's playoffs, but have also proven to be the most exciting team Atlanta has seen since the Dominique (Wilkins) era of the 80's. We look forward to building on Billy's success as we continue our efforts to emerge as one of the NBA's elite franchises for a long time to come."