View Single Post
Old 05-05-2008, 12:54 AM   #297
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Johnson has already voiced his desire that Woodson stay while saying that the team needed more veteran players because "We've got a lot of young guys that are just running wild [on offense]".

He's right too. The only games of this series that I saw were all the road games, so the only times I've seen the Hawks this entire season have been in these playoff wins, and they looked like a very good team. Josh Smith, Marvin Williams, Joe Johnson, Childress and Horford all showed plenty of glimpses of talent and made the Hawks look like a pretty awesome for an 8th seed.

But you can't build a contender through the draft alone, no matter how much young talent you pick up. They had the right idea bringing in Bibby, but still far too many of their impact players are inexperienced - Bibby and Johnson (from his Phoenix days) are the only playoff experienced players on the entire roster. They lack veteran role players and at least one veteran contributing starter.

As good as Josh Smith often is, he'd be the guy I'd look to deal this offseason. Outside of Johnson he'd have the most value, and he's also often the most erratic. And, I believe, he's a FA? Sign and trade perhaps?