View Single Post
Old 04-27-2008, 09:34 AM   #159
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Since it was asked before -- Gregg Popovich was Coach of the Year in 2003.

As far as Phoenix goes, I view what's happened to them as a tragedy, as I really appreciate the style they played before the Shaq trade and I think that style is great for the league and given how really close they were, is a style that can result in a title under the right conditions. It's much better for the league certainly than the one-on-one style of Denver and GS, which might be exciting but is also just plain bad basketball.

I think the Suns should get rid of D'Antoni, but only because his strengths is running the European-style offense and they don't have the horses to do that anymore. I don't think they'll easily find a better coach though, and whatever minor additions/changes in strategy they make are not going to sufficiently mask their weaknesses. With Shaq they have to play a more traditional game, and the defensive liabilities that Shaq, Amare, and Nash have are too much to overcome when combined with their general lack of mental toughness(including D'Antoni's). Kerr won't do it, but optimally they really need to say the experiment failed, let's break this thing up and rebuild around Amare.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote