View Single Post
Old 04-20-2008, 10:45 AM   #35
miami_fan
Coordinator

Can you really complain about Shaq not being able to hit a free throw at this point in his career? He has not been able to do so for 15+ years. I would think the Suns would have already taken that into consideration and planned accordingly. As far as TD's three pointer, yes the smart play would have been for them to stay at home and give up the two. Actually you are right. The smartest play would have been to foul. However if you had told D'Antoni that on that play he would have had Duncan shooting a three at the buzzer, he would have taken his chances. I can't really beat him or the team up over that one. My main criticism of Shaq and the rest of the Suns would be passiveness at the end of the game defensively. According to the Suns, Shaq was brought in for rebounding and low post defense. At some point during the 4th qtr and the overtimes, Shaq has to throw caution to the wind and actually play the aggressive defense in the paint they expect him to play. If he fouls out, he fouls out. However, at the very least you ask the Spurs to hit at least one pressure free throw as opposed to layup after layup after layup. Shaq playing passively is the equal of him fouling out. He does the Suns no good that way. Now, if you make the decision that Shaq is too valuable to your team to foul out as it seems D'Antoni did, then someone else has to step up and play that aggressive D. A quick look at the play by play shows that other that the two free throws that were intentionally given to Brent Barry at the end of the second OT, the Spurs last shot free throws with about six minutes left in the 4th qtr. There is something wrong with that picture when Manu is driving at will and Tim Duncan is taking it to the basket from the post.I am not saying they should have been like the 90's Pistons but you can not allow a team to know they can drive to your basket unchallenged.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote