View Single Post
Old 04-18-2008, 09:18 PM   #364
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Tampa Bay gives Longoria a 6 year deal that could stretch to a 9 year deal. Interesting. So much for that whole "keeping him in the minors for 13 days to buy the extra year of service time."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3353025

That's a really interesting deal. Hell, if I were a team, I'd sign any of my "can't miss" prospects to that deal because you're only out $19M and if they do pan out, you buy out 3 years of free agency for 11, 11.5, and 14.

For the Royals, take, for instance, David DeJesus. He was a "can't miss" guy and he's settled into dependable. $19M for his arby years is a bargain and maybe in another couple of years, $11M won't seem so bad for a dependable but not spectacular CF. But if not, you're not on the hook for it as those are all team options.

Even with Angel Berroa, who we are on the hook for, it's not that much of a money sink. Not that much more than he's already being paid. Royals thought they were smart, locking him up after he got ROY. Didn't pan out and he's getting like $4M per year to sit in Omaha this year.

But, then what about, say, Carlos Beltran a few years ago. It would have been an absolute steal to have him under that contract.

You wouldn't do this with every prospect that comes along but with the guys who are the "upper tier" guys. For instance, in the past 2 years with the Royals it would have been Gordon and Butler.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote