View Single Post
Old 04-14-2008, 02:38 PM   #229
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

In my opinion, Avery doing that stuff one time was funny. It was effective, too. My concern would be if the league shrugged and said "Well, it's not against the rules, so we won't take steps to stop it." What that does is open the door for players all over to stand in front of a goalie and wave their sticks around, which would probably lead to people accidentally taking sticks to the face. I consider Avery lucky that he didn't accidentally hit somebody. It was a smart play at the time, but if you allow him to do it, then you allow everyone to do it, and I think it's a good idea for them to get players to keep their sticks down.

While I can see that you don't want to outlaw a whole bunch of things because someone might get hurt, this is a stick that's up at face level. It's unnecessarily dangerous. With regards to the object of the game (put the puck in the net), there's no reason for it. It's not like you can play the puck with your stick at that level anyway, so the stick shouldn't be there. I like that Avery was not penalized for it at the time, but I can agree that it shouldn't be allowed again.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 04-14-2008 at 02:45 PM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote