View Single Post
Old 04-09-2008, 09:34 PM   #71
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24 View Post
Hi I'm Hell Atlantic.

Give me the choice between 4 Super Bowl tickets and $50.

I will take $50 because 'CASH IS KING'.

For the sake of this argument we have to assume that there are no strings on the gift cards. Obviously if there is other information we don't have we can't truly measure the deal.

To take the cash over the gas is so stupid on so many levels it is painful.

If you don't think you can find a business owner who would give you 25k for 31k worth of gas you are out of your mind.

You are talking about 10 years from now. This could not be more ridiculous. No one is going to hold onto the gas for 10 years, it could be sold this weekend. You are probably 100% wrong anyway. Most likely the price of the gasoline will far outpace inflation and 9,000 gallons of gas would be more valuable in 2018 then it is in 2008.

Your housing argument is the stupidest one of all. If a house is worth 500k then that is what you get for it. If you can't sell it for 500k then it isn't worth 500k. It's worth exactly what it can be sold for. If you are talking about appraised value that is something completely different. But I guess I'm the one who shouldn't be discussing hypothetical financial situations.

This gas isn't appraised at 31k. The gas is worth 31k.

The idea that your time is too valuable to sell the gas is laughable. You have thousands of posts about nothing on a message board about imaginary football players in imaginary football leagues.

Go fuck a sandwich.

there are more questions about how exactly the gas will be distributed to you, what strings are attached or whatever. if you like to deal in fantasy transactions (if i can get x amount of people to buy this from me, i can make x amount of money) then that's your problem. money talks. cash is liquid. its a lot easier to unload 4 tickets than it is to find the numerous sellers required who will purchase gift cards/certificates. if that's the case - why don't you invest 15K of your own money into $15k worth of gas at today's current prices, that way when it goes up to $5 next summer you can approach that business owner you mentioned who is interested in buying your gas. if that's the case why don't people do that already? everyone knows the price of gas is going to rise, how come you don't see people buying gas now and selling it in the future when it costs more?

you make it sound like business owners who utilize transportation, like shipping/delivery companies don't already use their own corporate gas cards for perks. i would love to see you walk up to this supposed business man in your above scenario, offer to sell him your gas cards and he goes "why would i buy your gas cards with cash when i can purchase gas with my Exxon Visa corporate card and be entitled to rewards and other incentives?".

this douche lynch is trying to insinuate if he saw someone selling gas for $2 a gallon out of the back of a truck he'd actually buy it sight unseen. or if he walked by an alley and someone said "pssst, you there, wanna buy some cheap gas cards?" lynch would be gung-ho for it. where is this huge market that exists that would purchase discount gas cards sight unseen? you mean to tell me if you saw someone selling discount gas cards in craigslist you would buy them just like that and assume it was legit and not a scam? if that's the case i have some cards in my drawer here i can sell you really cheap that each have a balance of $100 on them that you can use at any gas station you want. i promise it's completely legit.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote