View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008, 11:57 PM   #119
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
I'm a bit surprised we haven't heard an announcement yet.

I imagine it's because they (SEC officials/NCAA officials/network execs/AD's) don't know WTF to do any more than we do.

Not sure what's been shown around the country or on the net, but there was significant flooding inside the Dome tonight, as the sudden change in pressure apparently caused pipes to rupture. There's damage, still undetermined how much, at the Phillips Arena next door. Georgia Tech's roof had a leak problem from a much lighter rainfall just a couple of weeks ago & holds less than half the tickets sold already. The Gwinnett Arena up the road is booked already, as is Phillips on Sunday. And the logistics of moving the tournament to another city, even as close as Birmingham, don't work (and their building is booked too).

At this point, I'd say they're stuck waiting to figure out what building, if any, will be available for tomorrow. And if the answer is none, the only solution might just turn out to be to cancel the tournament & award the auto-bid to the regular season champion (yeah, I know that works in my favor, but what else could you do if there was no building that was ready, safe, and could get them finished by even Monday?)

edit to add: And here's the other thing that I have to figure has them scratching their heads & wringing their hands more than a little bit "Thunderstorms were expected to have passed out of the metro Atlanta area by 2 a.m., but even heavier weather was expected Saturday afternoon and evening.

The storms that hit Atlanta on Friday could be "nothing to compare with what's coming in tomorrow," Leary said."

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-15-2008 at 12:06 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote