View Single Post
Old 07-02-2003, 05:50 AM   #128
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Tuesday, October 1, 2002

London Times

Valencia Takes Juanfran From Celta

VALENCIA, Spain-- Valencia and Celta of the Spanish First Division have worked out a deal to transfer Spanish international fullback Juanfran to Valencia's side, just three days after the club acquired star midfielder Luis Enrique.

Valencia and Celta agreed to a reported £7.75 M transfer fee, and Juanfran, a quick defender with a flair for stepping up to the offense, has agreed to contract terms with his new team.

On Friday, Valencia bought reknowned playmaking midfielder Enrique from Barcelona for £6.5 M. Both Enrique and Juanfran have played for Spain's national team, especially Enrique.

Juanfran, 26, had three assists in three matches for Celta's B-side team, which plays in the Spanish Second Division.

The transfer continues two trends--Valencia's efforts to catch more noted Spanish powers such as Real Madrid and Barcelona, and a willingness for Spanish sides to help even rivals in transfer deals.

Valencia is currently in ninth in the Spanish First Division.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote