View Single Post
Old 03-04-2008, 10:36 PM   #396
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Wow, what a fantastic episode. Easily the best in a long while. Right off the bat, I would buy two of the singles from that show (David Cook and Jason Castro). Of course, I agree with Simon in that the Jeff Buckley version of the song is one of the better "lesser known" performances of all time. Here's the overall ranking:

1. David Cook - Great idea, nearly flawless performance and the sound was great with the arrangement.
2. Jason Castro - Very difficult song to nail and he did just that. The mood and band was setup perfectly as well.
3. David Hernandez - Another high degree of difficulty and he is beginning to grow on me (and no, it's not because I found out that he danced at a gay bar 40 minutes from where I live).
4. Michael Johns - The Michael Hutchence comparisons are somewhat legit. I was a huge INXS fan growing up, so he's certainly a "poor man's" version - but he has the same style and his voice could be in that mold. Still, I enjoy his performances and while he wasn't as technically strong as the top 3, it still was a solid job.
5. David A - Without last week, it may have been top 4. Still, he went to the well one too many times with the "lovers lament" crying ballad. He did a nice job and would have been a top performance on most nights, but it was just average tonight.
6. Chikeze - I actually like the Luther Vandross version of this song - so it was a good song choice for me. Still, he wasn't as strong as the others, but he should be good enough to be OK.
7. Danny - He did OK with it, but it was a little corney. Like with David A (but a few levels below), on some nights this would be a mid-level performance. But, tonight, it's bottom 2.
8. Luke - I liked him when he did Queen, it was a great song choice. Tonight was blah, especially when such strong performances followed him. Easily the worst.

Overall, I thought 6 of the 7 performances were not half bad (with 2 being very good). Good showing for Idol - I also think Luke and Danny should be gone. Still, I think Danny has a bit of a following and may end up pulling it out (with Chikeze sliding in his spot). My guess, though, is that it is Luke and Danny - which would be the right choice.

Last edited by Arles : 03-04-2008 at 10:41 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote