View Single Post
Old 07-01-2003, 10:36 AM   #37
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by EagleFan
Greg Maddux couldn't carry Nolan Ryan's jock strap. Yeah, holding the record for no-hitters and strikeouts sure isn't what I would want in an ace. Give me a pitcher that vanishes in the post season like Maddux anyday. Greg Maddux would be a good number 2 pitcher back in the day, when he wouldn't get strike calls that were a foot outside based on his reputation.

Randy Johnson has more of a case to make the over-rated list than Ryan. He made a name on his size and stirkeouts, and purely that for the longest time. If he was only 5'10 when he started playing, no-one would even know about him for the longest time.

Ok not sure why you say that about Maddux vs Ryan.. Looking at postseason statistics:

Ryan: 2-2 3.07 ERA

Maddux: 11-13 3.23 ERA

Neither of the records are spectacular.. but I would easily take either performances in the post season. If their team can not score more than 3 runs in a game, the problem is with the team's offense not the pitching. I think both Ryan and Maddux pitched fine in the post season.

Looking at their regular season performances, Maddux had far better performances over the course of his history. I agree though in that i think Nolan Ryan was a great pitcher, and lI loved watching him pitch. I just wanted to stand up for Maddux whom I think you unfairly judged.

As for Randy Johnson being overrated or not.. Its probably tough to be overrated when you have arguably been the best pitcher in baseball statistically over the past 5 years. I don't like JOhnson too much, but can't really argue with the stats he has put up.

Last edited by Alan T : 07-01-2003 at 10:37 AM.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote