View Single Post
Old 07-01-2003, 10:22 AM   #33
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by ISiddiqui
Yes, he was is a great SS, but not a great defensive SS. He's like Ernie Banks in that way. But he also is overrated. He's not as good as Nomar, he isn't as good as A-Rod, he isn't as good as Tejada, but many think he is just as good as A-Rod (which is nonsense).

He has competition for that as well. Glavine and Drysdale might have some claims as well .

You mean the 20+ error per year, .270 lifetime BA Tejada? You must be joking.

A-Rod and Nomar do things better than Jeter for the most part, but I'll take Jeter over either of them. Jeter played a part in 4 titles. I am not going to buy the arguments about lack of talent on Nomar and A-Rod's teams. A-Rod had Randy Johnson, Ken Griffey, Edgar Martinez et al. in Seattle for years and never even reached the WS. Nomar has had Pedro, Manny, and a huge payroll in Boston to work with and never even sniffed a Series. There is a reason Jeter is captain of the Yankees. Anybody who truly thinks stats are the end all and be all of a players worth either does not watch much baseball, or just doesn't get it, IMO. I get frustrated with some of Jeter's antics in the field, but he will come right back with a play that nobody else in the majors can make to make up for it. He will shrug off an error, or a muffed play and be determined to make up for it with the bat or with some nifty base running.

Here is one example....about a week and half ago, Jeter gets blasted on his wrist with a fastball. He stays in the game, tells the first baseman he is stealing second, procedes to steal second and then scores the (go-ahead, I think) run on the next hit. The stat sheet shows that as a SB and a Run Scored.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote