View Single Post
Old 02-27-2008, 10:39 AM   #279
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
Don't get me started (*cough Taylor Hicks cough*)

Really, though, it breaks my heart to see that you are assigning the criteria for a winner as "sing at least competently enough to record." I think that's where the biggest disconnect between me and the American public is.

In a nutshell.

I think the problem here is that what you're not getting is that this show is all about finding a recording artist. Sometimes it works - Kelly, Carrie - and sometimes it doesn't - Ruben, Taylor. Because the risk they run in doing this as a TV show is that what makes for a good TV show contestant doesn't necessarily make for a good recording artist. Taylor was undeniably the best story of his season - he was likeable, he was fun to watch on a TV show, he was completely against the grain of what you'd think of as an American Idol - and the voting public ate it up. When it came to buying his records, not many people cared for a poor man's Michael McDonald. But that's the disconnect they are trying to bridge the gap of now.

Keep in mind, I don't care one bit about these people as artists once they leave the show. So none of this breaks MY heart. If Archuleta goes on to sell $10 million records, good for him. If he gets knocked out in the top 5 and Carly wins, I really couldn't care less, other than as it affects my viewing of the TV show. The criteria I assigned to this was what, in reality, I think the producers are looking for. It's beyond obvious that if they truly wanted the best singers, we would have an entirely different set of 24 people up there.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote