View Single Post
Old 02-27-2008, 10:33 AM   #277
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
Fair enough. It was a very good act. Maybe if you didn't know he'd done it before, you wouldn't have felt that.

I would argue that the ability to do this convincingly would make for a great pop star these days. I can see how that would feel hollow to you, though. I would still say it is light years better than anyone else that night in a purely technical sense. If nothing else, you'd have to agree the raw ability is there. Right? I don't see anyone else that night that performed better, even if I did feel it was stiff and robotic. He nailed the crap out of it.

edit: this was a reply to Ksyrup

(also, mmmm syrup)

Without a doubt, he gave a good vocal. But really - and I'm sure I'll get killed for this, but what the hell, it was the honest reaction I had last night after watching him - I came to the conclusion that he is a rich man's Chicken Little. Or that Federov guy from a few years back. Very sterile, technically hitting the notes, but leaving me cold. That performance didn't move me an inch.

Again, I guess I'm just so used to seeing people perform in a less emotionally-sanitized way that I don't see what others see in him - and I'm not limiting this to him or even contestants in this show, either. I get the same thing with legit recording artists. If you compare his performance last night with one of the performances The Clark Brothers gave on Great American Band and don't see a difference, then I guess we'll just have to chalk it up to different expectations or musical backgrounds or something. Because what I saw out of him was the act of sincerity, neatly packaged and designed to score well with the audience and judges, but lacking true emotion/soul. It was a pageant performance. I guess that's the best way I can describe it.

Here, this is a good comparison. This is The Clark Brothers performing Rod Stewart's You're In My Heart, which is a good comparison because it's a song that could be (maybe has been?) performed on AI and it's slow.

&ampnbsp

Certainly not the best vocal you'll ever hear, but to me, the emotion and feeling of the individuals was authentic and elevated their performance. And hell, I don't even like bluegrass/country, and I thought they were great. But that's what seems mostly lacking from Archuleta. I think it's a combination of his age and doing stuff like Star Search his whole life.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-27-2008 at 10:41 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote