View Single Post
Old 07-01-2003, 03:01 AM   #120
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Saturday, September 28, 2002

Northampton Chronicle & Echo

Match Day

DOVER-- The Poppies are taking their act back on the road again after two straight home matches in Kettering.

Today, the Poppies will meet Margate at its home pitch, the Crabble Athletic Ground in Dover, at 3 p.m.

Kettering has won four of its last five matches, and currently sits at sixth in the Conference, just outside of a playoff slot.

Margate is trying to break a two-match losing streak, and they have lost three of their last four matches altogether. Margate was picked to be among the better sides int he Conference in the preseason, but has struggled, with just two victories and a draw in its first seven matches. The poor play has them sitting at 16th coming into today's match.

Margate hasn't scored much this season, but when they have, it is generally striker Phil Collins doing the work. The 30-year-old has five goals on the season so far. No one else has more than one.

Defensively, they have played well so far this season, having conceded just nine goals in the seven matches. Goalkeeper Phil Smith looks very solid in the net.

Kettering is coming into the match a bit battered. Goalkeeper Ian Bowling, who has started every match for the Poppies thus far, hurt his shoulder in last week's 2-0 win over Hereford. He is definitely for today's match, and will likely miss at least one or two more. Simon Ward will get the call in his stead, although rumors say the Poppies tried and failed to lure Premier League side Blackburn to loan them young goalkeeper Ryan Robinson, who is currently transfer-listed.

The Poppies do get back the services of new star striker Chris Thompson. The loan from Grimsby Town has three goals in three matches, but suffered a neck stinger from a header gone wrong in a match against Forest Green earlier this month.

Other Conference Matches

Match of the Day Chester at Yeovil-- While there are a number of interesting matchups in the Conference today, this should be a winner. Chester has really come on after a horrible 3-0 season-opening loss to Hereford. The fifth-placed Blues have won four of their last six and have only been defeated once. They visit reknowned Huish Park in Yeovil, and a side that is looking to continue its solid play this season. Yeovil, in seventh place int eh Conference, has been beaten just once all season and are coming off of a dominating 3-1 road win over Southport.

Also today:

Leigh RMI at Burton Albion
Doncaster at Dag & Red
Stevenage at Farnborough
Morecambe at Gravesend
Barnet at Halifax
Forest Green at Hereford
Kettering at Margate
Telford at Northwich
Scarborough at Nuneaton Borough
Woking at Southport

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote