View Single Post
Old 02-24-2008, 05:06 PM   #307
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
waste of Poe

I disagree, although I can definitely see where you are coming from. There are far better known works by Poe.

That said, the Cask of Amontillado is, IMO, a personally representative work by Poe. Anyone who has read Poe and knows his life story, you know there was a bit of darkness to his soul and it was reflected in his writing. I'm not going to say he was evil, just very troubled. He saw too clearly the evils of the world around him, had the ability and talent to write about it eloquently and the lack of control to "pull back."

IMO, the Cask of Amontillado contains one of the most heinous individual acts, sealing someone behind a brick wall, like burying them alive. I can think of few more horrifying and long drawn out ways to die. So the Cask, IMO, is amazing.

Poe (if you can't tell) is one of my favorite authors, and I debated all weekend whether I would select the Raven for Poem or The Tell-Tale Heart for Short Story or some of the other selections. I was certain that in making the choices I did, I would end up foregoing Poe. I didn't expect it to be the very next pick, though, cartman.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote